An ordinary man, an normal life, extraordinary thoughts?

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

An interesting Article

ST, Aug 19, 2006
Why he has stopped being chivalrous

IT IS no secret that much has been said about Singapore men lacking in chivalry. It is also no secret as to which gender the accusers belong.

I agree that some men are indeed lacking in chivalry. To a certain extent, this would include yours truly.

I am 37 years of age and was, in my earlier years, full of this so-called 'chivalry'. I had believed very strongly in this quality and had no bias regarding the age, race, nationality and gender of those shown this 'chivalry'.

Sadly, that was in the past.

This quality in me has 'died'. After years of giving up my seats to those in need (mostly the old and pregnant women); holding doors open for folks passing through after me (mostly women); helping to retrieve articles for people who had dropped them (again, mostly women), I regret to say that only a handful of these people whom I had shown such basic courtesy had smiled and said 'Thank you!' (mostly men).

Most of the women simply walked away either as if nothing had happened or with a facial expression that seemed to imply I had done or said something rude to them.

All I had done was something most would describe as either chivalrous or courteous.

Well, I certainly know why I hesitate to be chivalrous to the 'fairer sex' these days.

Alex Tan Li Er

--------------------

I totally agree. Some of my friends expect all this from us, and more, without even getting a thank you in reply. I've been doing it for years. I don't know if they have taken me for granted or not, but at a recent birthday gathering some of the girls said, "Hai, they're not gentlemen at all, ask them to take something for us also don't want/lazy."

No really. Do you think we're slaves or something? Are we expected to do each and every 'command' that you issue? Maybe if you start paying us i can start considering that, or maybe if i'm your unlucky boyfriend.

Somehow when i meet back my old friends, i feel like i've been hanging out with the wrong crowd or something. Actually, more like i've been hanging out with the wrong type of girls.

Okay i'm off track liao.

Oh yea Gerlind, i should have opened the doors for you the other time, just that i blur and tired that day. I'll try to remember next time haha.

- Aaron

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger IcyZ said...

I'm fine with it... haha.. i dun judge a person from such stuff coz a person can do all these but doesn't mean he's really a gentleman or so. TO me, you are polite, courteous, and ya.. kinda cute when u are lost for words.


^^

9:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home